Ok, so I’ve seen a ton of different pot roast recipes and tried just as many as well, but my mom’s recipe is The.Best.Ever! Better than a restaurants too! You gotta try it!
What ya need:
- 2-3 lb roast (I get a square or rectangular cut with some fat still on it)
- Morton’s Nature Seasoning Salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 package baby carrots
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 can – cream of mushroom soup
- 1 package – Lipton’s Onion Dry Soup mix
- 1 jar of sliced mushrooms
What ya do:
- Season roast with season salt – all over.
- Rub the roast with flour on all sides. Shake off excess.
- Heat oil in skillet. Once heated, brown the roast on all sides (this should only take about 3-5 minutes max). The goal is not to cook it, but just to sear or brown the outside. This coat helps keep in the moisture when its in the crock pot.
- Once browned set aside. Add carrots and onions to the bottom of a crock pot.
- Place roast on top of carrots and onions.
- Top the roast with the cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and jar of mushrooms (including the juice in the jar).
- Place the lid on the crock pot and cook on high for 8 hours.
This is so moist when its done. It tears right apart without a knife its so tender. Most times we eat this with one other veggie, but its good with mashed potato’s or brown rice too. We just typically stay away from carbs during our meals. The carrots are so good too cooked with this roast. Really this is a one pot meal since you have both your meat and veggies in the recipe.
I love the smell of this roast cooking in the crock pot all day! Its one of the most heavenly smells to come home to, especially after a long day at work.