Growing up we called these Peanut Butter Blossoms, but most people seem to refer to them as “kiss cookies”. These are not an original idea of course, but I have found the best peanut butter dough recipe. I found this several years ago on Pinterest before Pinterest was that well known of and it was one of the first successful pins I had. I used to just buy the pre-packaged peanut butter Pillsbury dough, but they didn’t rise well and the flavor was just “eh”.
We made these quite a bit during Christmas for various celebrations and parties, but these are so good year round. We’ll be making these again for the kids Valentine’s parties.
I used this recipe from Bakergirl, but obviously leave off the m&m’s and pretzels. I just use the dough recipe. I tried the entire recipe years ago, but didn’t have much luck with the “reindeer” part of this recipe. My antlers, eyes and nose kept falling off. But, I loved the dough so I’ve used it for other recipes.
What ya need (most of this list copied from Bakergirl):
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Hershey Kisses
What ya do (most of this recipe copied from Bakergirl):
- Preheat oven to 375°F. (I can get about 24 of these from one batch.)
- Combine brown sugar, peanut butter, shortening, milk, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add egg; beat until just blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls in sugar to coat completely.
- Space cookies about 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 7 to 8 minutes, until just beginning to brown.
- Once slightly brown, take them out of the oven and immediately push a Hershey kiss in the middle.
- Let them sit a couple minutes then transfer them to a cookie rack to cool.
- Try desperately not to eat all of them in one sitting!!! Enjoy!