So, the kids ended up not doing their projects that I had planned. We didn’t have much time and when we did they didn’t want to do it. So, they’ll wait till next year. I did get one project for myself done. I got the idea from this post, but changed it up to suit my taste.
- Canvas board – whatever size
- Painters tape or masking tape
- paint color (s) of your choice
- plastic bag
- wood or chipboard letters
- clear enamel spray
- Elmers glue
- hot glue and glue gun
Once you tape off your canvas, start painting. This took about 3 coats of paint. I used a deep red that was real streaky so I just kept doing another coat until it came out solid like I liked it.
Then while that is drying I put glue on the front and sides of the letters and threw them in large ziplock bag filled with glitter and shook them up. After they were covered I gently shook them in the bag to get rid of the excess glitter then laid them on wax paper till I was ready to glue them to the canvas board.
Once my canvas was painted the way I liked I let the paint dry and then removed the tape. I laid out my letters to see where I wanted to place them and then hot glued them onto the canvas. Once they were glued down I took the whole thing outside and sprayed a real good thick coat of clear enamel spray all over the whole thing.
It ended up looking really good, but I wanted it to sit on our mantle and I guess I didn’t take into consideration how big our mantle is so the final product looks dwarfed on there. I may move it somewhere else and do something bigger for the mantle next year. But, overall, this was a super easy project and turned out so cute. It would be great for gifts too.
I tried this Pinterest find and while Alex said these were soooo good, they were not easy to make. I really ended up with only about 7 or 8 that were decent to keep. I had planned to give these as gifts to the kids in Alex and Levi’s classes, but ended up wrapping up some Christmas Hershey kisses instead for a quick gift.
Where I had an issue was with our oven being too hot and even after adjusting them the candy cane’s melted too much. It also took forever for these to cool so I threw them in the fridge which seemed to work well, but pulling them up from the wax paper made some of them break even though I was very careful.
So, my parents got Alex this lamp at Christmas and I just got around to recovering the lamp shade. The lamp itself is a horse statue, but the lamp shade was, shall we say, not cute?? I had been looking for a lamp shade all over creation when it dawned on me one day to just recover the one that came with it.
So, first I had to take the ribbon off the top and bottom edges.
Then I traced the shape on some packing paper I had left over from our move. I did have to dig in to the pile a bit to find some that had not been eaten by Charlie!! That cat!
Then I cut the pattern out and placed my fabric (left over from the blanket my mom made for Alex) face down. I put double sided tape on the pattern and then stuck it to the fabric so it wouldn’t move while I was trying to cut the fabric. I cut just a tab bit (about a 1/4″) higher than the pattern where the top of the lamp shade was so that I could have some overhang that could be tucked in at the top for a cleaner look.
After cutting the fabric I ironed it real well so the creases wouldn’t show. Then I used fabric glue and put a thin line around the top and bottom of the lamp shade and carefully rolled the fabric onto the lamp shade. I really wanted fabric glue in an aerosol can, but I couldn’t find it. I think that would be much better. You could see the glue even after it dried a bit so I didn’t want it showing through on the lamp shade and knew I’d be covering the edges with ribbon.
After gluing the fabric I trimmed any that was hanging over at the bottom of the shade and folded in the top that hung over into the top of the shade. Then I glued ribbon around the edges. To hold it in place I used clothes pins, but big mistake. We left to eat dinner at my parents and the clothes pins ended up sticking to the ribbon and leaving a tan color where they were attached. I should have just hot glued the ribbon instead. I didn’t want to tear the ribbon off so I just hot glued another layer over the first. The hot glue doesn’t show through like the fabric glue did. I probably could have used hot glue on the edges with the fabric too instead of fabric glue.
Funny story – after I got it to this point…with the clothes pins I asked Alex if she liked it. She said, “I don’t really like it mommy. It looks weird.” Ha! She thought we were leaving the clothes pins on! Crazy kid.
Here’s the final product. The ribbon is a bit wavy from sitting on top of another layer of ribbon, but it works. I love it. It matches the blanket that sits on the end of her bed.
My mom graciously helped me cover our breakfast table chairs. Or I should say I helped my mom cover the chairs. Really she did most of the work. I just held the fabric or the cushion while she did her thing. I love the way they turned out and am so glad to be done with that ugly grandma-looking fabric we’ve had on there the last few years. I also love how the chevron and the print on the curtains really play off each other.
Look past Jack, our Elf, and you can see the old fabric in this pic below.