Thought I’d share another meal of ours this week. These taco’s have become a staple in our house. We have these about once every other week. Even my picky eaters will eat this meal without fussing. It’s also quick and healthy.
My taco shell cracked in half so you can actually see what it looks like inside. So scrumptious!
What ya need:
*1-1.5 lbs lean ground beef
*1 red bell pepper – chopped
*1 small (or ½ a large) yellow onion – chopped
*1 can chili’s – mild or spicy (level of spice up to you)
*1 can kidney beans – drained and rinsed
*3/4 cup frozen corn
*1 package dry taco seasoning (follow the directions on there)
*1/2 tsp garlic salt
*1/4 tsp onion powder
*1/4 tsp dried oregano
*1/4 tsp paprika
*1/4 tsp pepper
*1 package Mexican blend cheese
*1-2 avocado’s – cut into small bites
*taco shells or pitas
What ya do:
- In a large skillet cook beef, red bell peppers, onions, chili’s over medium until meat is no longer pink.
- While heating beef mixture prepare taco shells (or pitas) in oven (follow directions on taco package for heating – typically takes about 6-8 minutes to heat on 325).
- Once meat is cooked add beans, corn (still frozen), taco seasoning package (with the brand I use, I just dump the dried taco seasoning in and add 2/3 cup water – follow the directions on the package), about 1 cup of the Mexican cheese blend and all remaining seasonings.
- Stir thoroughly. Once the water from your taco seasoning has thickened your taco’s are ready! This takes just a couple minutes once everything is stirred up.
- Pile your taco as you like. We typically put romaine lettuce, then the beef mixture, avocado slices, then cheese.
This takes about 15-20 minutes to make. Skip the taco shell or pita all together for a super healthy and carb free meal by putting the beef mixture over a bed of lettuce. It’s a great taco salad too.
This recipe makes enough for 4 of us plus 2 left over meals. I love bringing the left overs to work with me. I heat up the beef mixture and then throw in my lettuce.